Thursday, September 13, 2012

Happy Birthday, Johnny Appleseed!

Every year, I love when fall comes to town. Football, leaves, cooler weather, Halloween, and Johnny Appleseed. I know that sounds like an odd thing to get exceited about but Johnny Appleseed Day is one of my students' most favorite days.

We dedicate the whole day to Johnny and his Apples. We do art projects, make applesauce, weigh and measure apples, research, read books about Johnny, and even have an Applicious Party at the end of the day complete with caramel apples, Apple Jacks, apple chips, apple pie and much more.

I have always had an assortment of activities and printables that I have acquired throughout the years. Most were great activities but they had just started to fade. Others needed a little vamping up. So I have created a whole new Thematic Plan to make for one sensational Johnny Appleseed Day. Check them out at my TpT store.

There is an expository writing lesson on How to Make Applesauce. A Bushel Full of Math Centers sends kids exploring apples in whole new way by weighing, sinking, measuring, researching, drawing...and so much more. They will read a folktale about A Little Red House and create a comic strip about the story's events. Next they get to travel through Johnny the United States and create a graphic organizer about his life.





3 comments:

  1. Hi...I am your newest follower.

    I just love your Johnny Appleseed activities!

    Dee
    Mrs. B's Nook

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kellogg's Apple Jacks Apple and Cinnamon Cereals, 345g.Great wellspring of fiber and made with entire grain Crunchy improved three-grain oat with apple.

    ReplyDelete